Monday, March 26, 2007

Super Cool Freezer

This is a verbatim email I sent out at work:


I'm sure by now most of you have noticed the huge new freezer standing in staging. I've mounted a warning sign on there at Safety's request which gives some common sense advice about what the freezer is and what it should not be used for:

--The freezer operates around -85 degrees Celsius. That means you do not want to go picking things up inside it with your bare hands, licking the inside frame, or taking naps in there to cool off in the summer.
-- I have special cryo gloves in my office (for now) that are to be used for moving material from this freezer. If we like these, I'll likely order a few more. If we don't care for them, we'll look at other options.
--Taking something from room temp to the freezer temp is thermally comparable to taking a pot of boiling water and setting it on a block of ice. That sort of treatment is very bad for glassware and many other common items. Don't just go putting things in there to see how cold they can get.

Again, this should all be pretty common sense. I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions or give details about its use, esp. when we have it plugged in and cooling.

Thanks!

No comments: