Friday, July 20, 2007

Going the Long Way

We’re in the middle of the summer shutdown in my building at work. That’s when we shut everything down so that we can do lots of work on otherwise active systems. This is when a lot of the more unusual projects get done, which means this is when I'm busiest.

Last week, I was in the stairwell heading up to the third floor. As I got close to the landing, I noticed three guys standing around, looking bored, staring at the door I was planning on going through. One guys was standing directly in front of it, blocking my view through the window.

Since I wasn’t aware of anything unusual going on, I thought about asking why everyone was just standing around.

Before I opened my mouth, I heard a loud grinding noise. The outline of the guy staring at the door lit up like a Christmas tree. A thick sheet of sparks flooded through the crack under the door and around the guy’s boots, shooting seven feet towards the far wall. It looked a little bit like liquid fire was pouring through the crack.

I considered taking a look through the window in the door, but since the face of the guy in my way was now glowing orange, I thought better of the idea.

I decided to let Dumbledore and Voldemort fight it out in there alone. I took the long route.

Turns out, they were removing the existing door frame a little down the hall. I can only assume that they decided the best way to do this was with a flint chainsaw.

No comments: