Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Hobbies

BRENTWOOD, CA – Beautician and self-described "best collector ever" Betty Blakeslee has the world's largest random collection. "I started out collecting things that had something in common. You know, Beanie Babies, porcelain unicorns, that sort of thing. But I realized it was limiting me. My eureka-moment came when I realized I didn't need to be bound by the old rules. I could collect any objects whatsoever and put them all together." Blakeslee's collection boasts a bottle cap, a steering wheel from a Ford Pinto, and 900 bags of household trash."

I lifted the above quote from something Scott Adams put out in a newsletter a few years ago. For the context of discussion, let's assume I have no idea if it's true or false.

I think what most amuses me is that even though I think this is funny, I kinda buy Betty's logic. I know many, many people who have other hobbies of which they are just as proud. Often, these hobbies are much more expensive, similarly restrict one's ability to have an uncluttered home that people might want to visit, and are higher maintenance.

I think what's really scary here is that if I were to be asked, "Which would you rather have: a complete tour of Miss Betty's household trash collection, or a similar tour of (fictional) Miss Chesterford's 'Hummel Figurines From Throughout the Ages' gallery?" I would honestly need much more information to answer the question.

No comments: