Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Boring People to Giggles

Some people have asked me why I pick my topics for this blog the way that I do. Inexplicable topics have included a two (soon to be three) part series on a potted plant, a two part series on a freezer, a wiring proposal, a bowl of candy, how I wore my shirt one day, and hose connectors. (This list was chosen to be amusing, but is literally correct.)

This is an abbreviated list of the many and diverse soporific topics I’ve used.

People have suggested that it is only logical that future posts will include such topics as paints and how they dry differently, detailed descriptions of lawn growth rates, and descriptions of scenes taken from rural highways.

The irony, of course, is that these people are avid readers.

Let’s humor the question: “What the hell am I thinking?”

My answer: “Lots, actually.”

The unexpected (yet glaringly-obvious) line linking these seemingly random blog posts together is the fact that they are all things that I casually came up with as I wandered around in a typically “boring” world. Boredom is not a state of mind I was ever very good at embracing. I’m that guy that everyone thinks is crazy, because you’ll find him alone someplace laughing like crazy. I have some of my most amusing conversations… with myself. I have a cup of coffee and decide to start a cartoon strip that the ACLU would be hesitant to describe as “justifiably-free speech.”

It’s just something I do.

There is a certain philosophical note to it though. If you ignore the fact that I not-so-secretly write this thing because I laugh myself silly when I do (other artists need fans?), you can make a case that my underlying theme is that existence itself is funny. I find it blissful when the mundane makes me laugh. If I can make other people feel the same way, I figure I’m doing the word a favor. Trust me, given the choice between “sitting in a room with nothing to do is really boring” and “sitting in a room with nothing to do is a laugh riot,” I think my way is better.

No comments: