Monday, January 7, 2008

9:15

Recently, I went grocery shopping. I needed walnuts late at night. It was a minor emergency.

After running some other errands, I pulled into the mostly-empty grocery store parking lot. I glanced at the clock in my dash as I turned off the car. It was 9:07. I opened the car door, but just as I was about to step out into the lot, I saw something glint on the floor in front of the passenger’s seat. It was a small fuse.

Leaving the car door open, I reached over, picked up the fuse and looked at it closer. From the size and shape, I managed to figure out that it was from my GPS system. I reached up, unplugged it, opened the chasse, reinstalled the missing fuse, and plugged it back in. Elapsed time: about 45 seconds.

I turned my head back to the parking lot only to discover the cart collector looking at me. Without missing a beat, he said, “Just so you know, we close at 10:00.”

I blinked. After a short pause, I answered, “Isn’t it just a little after 9:00?”

He replied, “Yeah, but I’m just saying as a courtesy so you don’t feel rushed.”

Though I was a little confused by this unexpected exchange, I decided not to draw it out. From the guy’s tone and general demeanor, I got the distinct impression that thinking was not his sport. “Ok, thanks,” I ended.

As I walked towards the store, I thought about this. I wondered to myself how his random parking lot message could count as a courtesy. I then wondered how him telling me that could possibly inspire me to NOT feel rushed. I wasn’t getting very far with these questions.

I entered the store. I went to the walnuts. I grabbed a bag. (Of walnuts.) I checked out. (Not the stockboy.) I went back to my car.

On my way out, the cart guy was still lingering. He again spoke to me without provocation. “Sorry about that.”

This confused me. I replied, “Uhm. That’s ok. You just confused me a little is all.”

He answered, “Yeah, I confused myself too.”

This struck me as funnier than it should have.

I started my car and looked at the dash. It was 9:15.

This is a true story.

No comments: