Friday, January 18, 2008

Parking On The Lawn

I’m really dating this blog with this one, because the huge mountains of snow plowed off of the employee parking lots were not playing citadel around the pavement when I got the idea for this post. Instead, it was late summer. I decided this post was less interesting than a lot of other things and have had it on the backburner ever since.

I came out of the office one afternoon and headed towards the first of our site’s four parking lots. It’s the lot I park in almost every day. It’s the one closest to my building. Many of my site’s workers use a very similar strategy when looking for parking.

What I didn’t realize was the near-manic degree to which some of my co-workers were willing to pursue this convenience.

On that day, I walked towards the lot only to discover that five cars had decided to “think outside the box” and park directly on the lawn after they discovered that the parking lot was full.

When I noticed this (I’d never seen anything like it before), I wondered if maybe they had closed off the other lots for some reason. We repave or hold career fairs on occasion. Things like that are generally what inspire me to use some other lot. I figured that space must be getting tight.

No dice. All the other lots were open and comparatively empty. I smiled slightly to myself that people were funny, but didn’t think much of it.

The next morning, I opened up my email program to find an email from the head of my site to all local employees. Apparently, I wasn’t the only person to look at the cars on the lawn and think, “Lazy.” We were told to park on pavement from now on.

I was glad to have that cleared up. I might have decided to try to top the grass-lovers and park in the firewater pond.

No comments: